Better Mississippi Forum / Better Mississippi Forum / Education / Another GREAT video Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another GREAT video
11-30-2011, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2011 12:05 AM by bdbart.)
Another GREAT video
Ken Robinson
And Another
One more
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2011, 02:17 PM
RE: Another GREAT video
Good stuff.

I'm particularly fond of the style of the first video. I've always wondered what artist/company made those sketch videos, and it appears that it's RSA -- "21st Century Enlightenment".

Other RSA vids: http://comment.rsablogs.org.uk/videos/

As he mentions something about aesthetics in that first video..... I strongly believe that sketch videos like that, designed around really good audio presentations, would make the best possible videos for people to pay attention to.
12-05-2011, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2011 12:32 AM by bdbart.)
RE: Another GREAT video
Yeah the first video is the best...but like with anything, the drawings are only supporting a very strong speech/message. On another TED video they talked about how power point is not as engaging as other forms of media...but IMO...that is only b/c many do not support a strong speech or are insufficient for a good speech...like with anything there are good ones and bad ones.

Anyway I think the core message was that we need a revolution in education (particularly in the western world)...he said revolution and not reform b/c reform implies that a system is already broken (I liked that part)

The revolution needs to come in the form of 'personalized' education....but I see this can cause problems as well

First...The reason we 'standardize' education is to give people the same opportunities to proceed to the next level of education or into the work force. So we say everybody 'needs a good foundation' of education, just for basic understanding of math-science-art-philosophy-etc... Then the question is....what is that 'basic' level of education....which is essentially what the school system tries to give each student

Second...We already spend an extraordinary amount of money on education...while it could be spent in better ways...personalized education will likely be even more expensive. Bill Gates in his TED talk, said that classroom size is not a factor that determines a better education (measured by graduates). The factor that does, is a teacher interacting with a student, particularly when they see that they are lost.

Third (actually an extenuation of First)...Children may take the easiest classes if given a choice...wouldn't you have spent the entire day at recess instead of in class. This would have made you unprepared for more difficult subjects if you did. This is an exaggeration, but the point to 'standardize' edu., is that you have the background of ALL subjects if/when you decided to change your preferences.

I don't remember where I heard it, but someone said...In the US, schools teach children a little of math, science and history every year, while in Japan they teach math, then they teach science...etc...the point was that they immerse you in a subject and want you to comprehend the entire subject before you move onto another subject...essentially like the 'block' schedule (or at least what it tries to do). I think this is a better system of learning than the US model. This still does not address the 'personalized' education vs 'standardize' education issue.

What are your views on personalized vs standardized???

Again personalized edu. will allow you to develop at your own pace and concentrate on subjects that you enjoy more than others. But we all change and we could spend our childhood developing on a subject that we grow out of, and then don't have a good foundation of another subject to proceed into.