Better Mississippi Forum / Better Mississippi Forum / Economy / Should States Require Online Retailers To Collect Sales Tax? Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should States Require Online Retailers To Collect Sales Tax?
11-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Should States Require Online Retailers To Collect Sales Tax?
Wall Street Journal

I had never really thought about this ....but both sides have a valid point...and what about ebay

I think that the gov (local/state/fed) is loosing taxes that it should be collecting. However, with ebay, supposedly the taxes were already collected on the item when the seller bought it the first time (since ebay is filled with used items)....I know that there are ebay stores that sell brand new items, but I don't know how you could charge some sellers/buyers tax and not others. I think that the states should get together and adopt a universal tax on online merchandise regardless of what state you are in, with the exemption if your business has less than $500,000 (as it says in the article).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2012, 12:19 AM
RE: Should States Require Online Retailers To Collect Sales Tax?
Internet retailers such as Amazon have benefited for several years from the absence of online sales tax imposed by states. However, that is beginning to become a thing of the past as more places implement internet sales taxes. You can also read here for more updates: http://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblo...sales-tax/

Indeed, this is new! Most of the people are not aware about this term that sales tax applies on internet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply